Thursday, May 6, 2010

Time to start pumping some iron!

... and I don't mean lifting weights.
Last week I had my glucose tolerance test and they also test you for anemia. The good news is my blood sugar was normal so no Gestational Diabetes for me. The bad news is that I am slightly anemic. I wasn't exactly sure what the effects of anemia were on a pregnancy and fetus so I did some googling ... let's just say it's not fantastic, but not the worst thing that could happen either. I will definitely be doing all that I can to get my iron levels up in hopes to avoid any of the possibilities becoming reality.
Following doctor's orders, I am now on a daily iron supplement and am working on upping my dietary intake of iron as well. It's a good thing I love red meat, spinach, beans and seafood! If you have any great suggestions that include iron-rich ingredients ... send them my way!

1 comment:

  1. Seems like a lot of people are anemic during pregnancy..I was put on iron supplements from the beginning of my pregnancy, not a big deal at all! :) Definitely much easier than having GD

    ReplyDelete