Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Scariest day of my life

I experienced something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy on April 26th. I will start from the beginning ...

Corbin woke up not feeling so great, and had a slight fever so I gave him some tylenol to help with his discomfort. While his fever wasn't that high, he just wasn't himself so I figured it couldn't hurt. Our day continued and he was very clingy, but seemed to be feeling ok. His fever was gone when I checked his temperature at 2:30 p.m. so I decided not to give him another dose. Shortly there after, he was getting very tired, but wanted nothing to do with his crib, so I ended up holding him while he slept to help him get some sleep.

He woke up from his nap around 4:45 p.m., and like his mama, he takes a while to wake up, so we came out to the living room and sat in the front window while he woke up.

Shortly there after, I could tell something wasn't right with him. Then he started looking around like he couldn't see, but following the light and the sounds. I couldn't get him to make eye contact with me, which was my first moment of panic. I thought maybe he was just a little dazed and too hot, so we went outside for a second and this is when things really got bad.

He started to go limp, and was completely unresponsive. I rushed back in the house screaming his name and dialed 911. At this point he was practically lifeless and wasn't breathing. I thought he was dying in my arms, and saw flashes of my life without him ... I about collapsed, but knew I had to keep it together to help him. The dispatcher sent the ambulance and instructed me to do CPR. Corbin took a couple short breaths after that, was slowly moving his eyes back and forth, his heart racing and had a tight grip on my finger so I knew he was still with me.

The paramedics arrived just minutes later (it was now about 5 p.m.) and took over from there, asking what happened and assessing his situation. Corbin was coming back to consciousness at this point and they told me he was going to be okay.

I was so confused as to what had happened and why they were so calm. It turns out he was having a Febrile Seizure, which is common in children under the age of three. While his fever wasn't that high, certain situations can trigger one of these seizures.

After consulting Mary Bridge Children's Hospital, we were instructed to take him to his pediatrician to check all of his vitals.

We rushed him to doctor's office and it turns out he had a double ear infection, which was causing the fever, which caused the seizure. Since there was a clear reason for his fever, he didn't require any further evaluation and we are just supposed to treat him at the first sign of a fever from now on to avoid a repeat seizure, which he is now more likely to have.

Let's just say I am a paranoid mother now and will be taking his temperature religiously and over-evaluating every little cough and sniffle. But do you blame me? I'm just so relieved that he is going to be ok and there isn't a more serious cause of the seizure.

No comments:

Post a Comment