Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Why didn't you warn me?

While I was pregnant, I had this idea of how life was going to be once Corbin was born. He was going to sleep through the night from the beginning and take long naps during the day ... I was going to shower, shave and apply make-up on a regular basis, always looking my best ... We were going to go for walks, or the mall, or restaurants while he smiled or slept the whole time.
Okay so I might be exaggerating a little, but to some extent, I thought things would be a little easier. Now after 3 months, I can look back and say things were not as easy as I had imagined. There were times when I was lucky to shower once in a 7 day span, when he would only sleep for 30 minutes the whole day and wake up 6 times a night, when any time we left the house it was guaranteed that he would cry 90 percent of the time.
I know he wasn't your typical baby and was a little fussier than most, but I realize now why no one filled me in on how tough things could be. I realize it because while those times were mere weeks ago for me and I thought we would never survive it, they have already become blurry. The days of crying have been replaced with smiles and "baby talk", the sleepless nights have been replaced with a baby in his crib, asleep by 8 p.m. every night, and outings that used to scare me, now excite me that I can show Corbin the world ... narrating our adventures the whole way.
I write this post now because I realize that life changes by the day when you have a baby and you have to roll with it. I know there are still tough times ahead, but we survived the first 3 months when there were times I didn't think I could survive another 3 seconds. And I write it to let those of you who have yet to enjoy the adventure of parenting that when you are up in the middle of the night crying more than your little one because you are exhausted and neither of you have slept in 24 hours, you are not alone and it will get better!
And if you don't believe me you need to go pick up the book "The Second Nine Months". It's a great memoir about a first time mom who has quite the tough time adjusting to parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment